Before you gather your stuff, gather your thoughts. Don’t wait until the last minute, plan ahead. With this checklist, you can stay organized during your move and save yourself some headaches along the way.
One Month Until Move
- If necessary, give your landlord notice.
- Contact telephone company to set up reconnection/installation.
- Inform gas and electric providers that you will be the new property owner.
- Start collecting packing materials.
- Tell work you’ll need time off.
- Start sorting your stuff into three piles: “Keep,” “Toss,” & “Store.”
Two Weeks Until Move
- Book moving company or rental truck.
- If necessary, arrange moving transit insurance.
- Inform people of your change of address.
- Arrange for post office to forward your mail.
- Ask someone to look after any kids and/or pets.
- Start packing things you won’t need until after your move.
- Cancel any monthly household services, e.g. newspaper delivery.
One Week Until Move
- Arrange for final bills to be paid.
- Have meters read and pay any outstanding amount.
- Confirm arrangements with utility companies.
- Arrange the exchange of keys. Collect yours as soon as possible.
- Collect old blankets to put down in new house to protect floors and carpets.
- Make map of new property for the moving company.
- Decide what each room in the new home will be used for.
- Start cleaning rooms in the house.
- Consider storage options should you need them and call Keep It Here Storage for professional advice.
One Day Until Move
- Seal and label all boxes.
- When possible, move items toward location of moving truck, like the garage.
- Pack a container for emergency supplies.
- Defrost fridge/freezer.
- Finish cleaning the house or apartment.
Day of Move
- Disconnect any remaining appliances.
- Close and lock doors and windows.
- Turn off all lights.
- Account for all items at new location.
Call us today at:
or email us at: