- Leave a walkway to the rear of the unit.
- Disassemble bed frames to save space.
- Place frequently used items close to the door.
- Fill your boxes, but don’t over fill —partially full or bulging boxes may tip or collapse.
- Store couches (except sofa beds) on end to save space.
- Place fragile items near the top of the unit to prevent breakage.
- Label your cartons and keep a list of the labeled cartons. (Get labels in our office.)
- Consider shelving to make maximum use of your space.
- Adding bay leaves to boxes will discourage many pests and pets.
- Clean refrigerators and freezers before storing
- Leave refrigerator and freezer doors slightly ajar.
- Use refrigerator and freezer space for storage.
- Wrap mirrors and pictures with paper pads or use mirror boxes. Never store flat.
- Use high quality moving and storage boxes.
- Use furniture drawers to hold delicate items. Wrap them in bubble wrap or newspaper.
- When packing toys or smaller objects, remember to fill boxes completely, stuffing open areas with plain newspaper to prevent collapsing when stacked.
- Be careful not to store anything combustible (such as paint and chemicals) or perishable (such as food that is not permanently sealed).
- When storing lawn and garden equipment, drain any fluids prior to storage in order to avoid corrosive damage.
- Use trash cans to store shovels, hoes and rakes.
- Always use high quality locks on your unit. Ask our on-site manager for advice on where to purchase these high quality locks.
- When storing delicate heirlooms, use specially constructed boxes, such as wardrobe boxes, and utilize dehumidifiers to prevent mildew build up.
- Store furniture carefully on boards or pallets.
- Cover mattresses and store them flat on level surfaces.
- Store small items like pots and pans in large appliances, such as stoves or refrigerators.
- Break down items (such as table legs) and store large furniture (like tabletops and sofas) on end to save space.
- Use protective covers and treat wood surfaces before storing.
- When storing business files, label all boxes and construct aisles so files are easily seen and accessible.
- Clean furniture, boxes and the storage unit of all food and perishables.
Call us today at:
or email us at: